This summer explore more of the Gulf Islands. Gabriola Island is just off Nanaimo and accessible by a short ferry ride.
Distance: 40km loop
For lots more information and great routes on all the Gulf Islands, pick up a copy of Cycling the Islands by John Crouch
Here’s the route:
1. Just off the ferry climb the hill and take first RIGHT on South Road.
2. Follow South Road and it’s undulating hills to the eastern end of the island stopping near the United Church near Thompson Road to see the Petroglyphs.
3. You can take a side trip to Drumbeg Park or stop at Pages Resort for coffee and scones.
4. Follow North Road heading west along the top of the island taking a side trip to Sandwell Park.
5. The Malaspina Galleries are one of the best things to see on the island – follow Taylor Bay Road to Malaspina Drive, park your bike and walk out to the sea-carved rocks.
• On Gabriola there are amazing petroglyphs to see – pick up a copy of the Walking Trails Map at Li’l Market at Page’s Resort – a bargain for only $5
There are petroglyphs to see – pick up a copy of the Walking Trails Map at the Silva Bay Pub – a bargain for only $3/.